Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Australia wins the day one of the first test in Bangalore

Australia won the day one of the first day first test match with very strong post tea session. Clarke is playing really very well. If he plays this well then I believe either Martyn or Lehman has to give up a place when pointing returns. In the last hour of play Australia scored very heavily. They came very hard at Harbhajan.

Earlier Katich and Clarke played superbly. When Clarke came to the crease they were in difficult position(149/4) with both Harbhajan and Kumble bowling in tandem bit they played well to get over that period. I thought Katich deserved a century he got out unluckily after doing all the hard work.

Hayden and Langer started the day rather uncomfortably with both Pathan and Zaheer bowling superbly. I though Langer was out in the first ball LBW but he got benefit of doubt. Hayden got out to sweep shot. I just get the felling if Hayden tries to be too aggressive he might be in for a bad series.

Inspite of scoring 52 Langer never looked comfortable. He was did in by Irfan's reverse swing. Martyn too went quickly.

Steve Bucknor turning down a catch for Lehmann was bringing very bad memories of him. Atleast I thought we are lucky its not decider and this his last test in this series. He got out soon playing a rash stroke. Parthiv patel's keeping is very disappointing. He dropped a catch and claimed it(may be he did not know it but I don't believe). Not at all convincing the way he keeps.

Tendulkar not playing today is very disappointing for me. I thought that he might play. I am still not comfortable with Chopra opening. What happens for next test match when Tendulkar returns ? will they drop Chopra and ask Yuvraj to open ? I don't know. If Yuvraj wants a place in test team its available only in opening. Otherwise he could play only when someone got injured. I would be very happy if Chopra make 100 tomorrow. But the problem is he is throwing away his starts.

Tomorrow we have to get rid of Gilchrist soon otherwise he will take total over 450 by lunch. If they got Aussies out in the range of 400-450 I will be very happy. Our reply tomorrow depends mainly on how well Shewag bats. If stays for 2 session we would have avoided follow on and look about getting first innings lead. Before dreaming too much I hope we finish of Aussies soon.

Aussies have perfomed better today. Lets hope tomorrow belong to India and another century stand from Shewag and Chopra.

Day 1: Australia 316/5 (Clarke 76*, Gilchrist 35*; 90 overs)

My Guess for tomorrow's score is

Aus 420 all out India 220/2 (century for shewag)

I forgot about Kumble's 400 . It was very nice he was able to get on first day itself. He deserves it.

No comments: